Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Rudy Ray Moore(Dolemite) Passes

"It is with great sadness that I report the passing of a true entertainment legend and friend, Rudy Ray Moore, on Sunday, October 19, 2008 due to complications from diabete" taken from the official Rudy Ray Moore website http://www.shockingimages.com/dolemite/main.php

Although I heard and knew the name Dolemite in passing it wasn't until the early-mid 90's that I really took an interest in Rudy Ray Moore's character. Thanks in part to an interview that appeared in Mark Jason Murray's excellent and defiantly missed fanzine Shocking Images. Not only did Jason's interview open my eye's to Dolemite, but the whole Blackexpoliation genre itself. A few years back apoun accuring Dolemite finally on DVD, I screend the movie for friends. They absolutely loved the film. What will alway's stick out in mind about that viewing experience of Dolemite with friends then, were the comments made by my buddies. "I didn't know black people called each other the "N" word back then. Hahahhaha. Yeah, I said " Where do you think it all started".

Below is part 2 of the Dolemite interview from issue 4 of Shocking Images(circa 1994). I swore I had the first part from issue 3? Can't seem to locate it though.



No comments: